Planning your engagement session is a lot like planning your wedding. You’ve chosen the month, the special location, but now you’re unsure of what to wear. You know it has to be perfect, but the decisions are endless and your closet has become overwhelming to look through. Do worry – these 10 steps to planning engagement session outfits will help take away all the uncertainty. By the time you finish reading this you’ll run to your closet and have your outfits chosen! Let’s do this!
Engagement Session Outfits Three C’s: Color, Comfort, Confidence.
- Color Palette: Avoid matching one color to itself. Instead, choose three colors to coordinate with each other and build your outfit from there. If you are unsure where to start, Pinterest is your best friend. You can search any color and add ‘color palette’ next to it and boom, you have your outfit colors. I have a Pinterest board dedicated to engagement session outfits, you can find my board here to get inspired. Personally, I’m a sucker for neutrals. I believe they photograph in such a timeless and flattering way for everyone! Consider these colors: White, beige, soft blues, pale pinks, olive green, and black. Try avoiding: neon colors, orange, yellow, lime green, hot pink.
- Comfort: Choose an outfits that you’re able to move in. A lot of our time together involves flirty movement (i.e. dancing, walking, cuddling,). Feeling comfortable during your session will create the perfect environment for you to have fun and feel your best!
3. Confidence: Perfectly following being comfortable is feeling confident. Choose outfits that you absolutely love everything about! This is definitely the time to be feeling yourself and the hottie that you are! If you’re looking at an outfit and have second thoughts, she ain’t it. Go for the one you’re excited to wear and see in your photos.
Engagement Session Outfits: Textures, Styles, Location
4. Play with patterns and textures: Some patterns tend to get lost in photos. The really tiny prints and checks can get lost in the photo turning blurry. Consider playing with different textures depending on the season. For example, a chunky knit sweater or leather jacket over a silk dress is a great way to play with textures in your outfit. The different textures add visual interest to your photos in a really practical way.
5. Casual and Dressy: During your session we will have time for 2 outfits. Consider choosing a casual look and dressier look. Make sure to include accessories for each outfit. I have found packing these details a few nights before helps prevent leaving anything behind. I cannot recommend this enough because I have personally forgotten outfits for my family and it was really frustrating. So learn from my mistake – plan and pack ahead of time.
6. Coordinate with your fiancé: Your outfits do not need to match completely but they should compliment each other. We have all seen the white shirt and jeans family beach photo. This isn’t the vibe we are going for. Think back to your color palette. Complementing one another within your color palette will look cohesive and aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Here are some examples: cream with blue, white with black, floral with any solid color, or monochromatic.
7. Consider the colors of the location you’ve chosen: When choosing colors of your engagement session outfits, consider the colors you see at your location. For example, a urban city vibe you’ll want to pull blacks, cream, ivory, or gray from your closet. If you’ve chosen a location in the mountains, earth tones like olive green, beige, ivory, or brown will pair perfectly.
Have fun – be yourself!
8. Dress it up through rentals: If you want to go next level, but don’t want to drop money on an outfit you’ll only wear once, you can rent suits, dresses, and jumpsuits! There are some great online stores where you can rent special occasion outfits and return them later. I love this idea because after your engagement session you could totally go out on a date looking like absolute fire. Ask your photographer if they can help you find a place to rent outfits. I have used Dalliance Gown Rentals for shoots and have had a great experience.
9. Show off your personality: Don’t be afraid to have fun with your outfits! This session is all about you! Pull accessories like hats, boots, jewelry, that will really pull your outfit together and showcase your unique style.
10. Be yourself: Whatever that looks like. Comfortable and casual or high end, dressed to impress. The focus of this is to celebrate you marrying your person! Don’t stress too much about what to wear, just have fun planning! And if you need/want extra help, send me a photo of your potential engagement session outfits! I would love to help you!
Hey I’m Chelbe!
Tennessee Wedding and Elopement Photographer ready to capture your love story wherever your heart takes you. One thing I value about being a photographer is serving my couples and serving them well. One way I do this is by providing a complimentary engagement session in every package offered. I value the connection we are able to build before we ever get to your wedding day, your engagement session is a great way for us to build that connection outside of our emails. During your engagement session, you’ll be able to experience working with me before your wedding – while also getting some beautiful photos. If you’re looking for a 2023 or 2024 wedding/elopement photographer, I would love to hear all about your wedding day vision! You can get in touch with me here. I look forward to hearing from you!
Hair and MUA: @emmap_stellawest @shelby.style.studio